That picture you’re staring at is what we look like when we’re standing in Valve’s lobby just being incredibly handsome, after going on a tour and hanging out with Gabe Newell for a bit. For me this was the second time I’ve hung out with Gabe. Last time I had him shipped, but since we were in Seattle anyway for PAX this week, visiting Valve seemed the more practical option. Gabe played Vroom for a bit on the iPad 2, and did a barrel roll. He didn’t say anything specifically bad about it, so I’ll chalk that up as an endorsement.
Randy Pitchford of Gearbox also played Vroom and enjoyed it enough to tweet about it, and Tycho of Penny-Arcade described it as hot shit.
On Vroom! – I’d like to thank all ya’ll for all the feedback. Some of you love it and some of you hate it passionately, and you’ve all got some good points, some of which are addressed in the update we’re planning to submit to the store any minute now. It’s going to take a few days for Apple to verify it, though. Here’s a changelog that is 100% certain to have some things missing.
- Fixed the issue where the entire game looked inexcusably absymally terrible on the iPhone 3GS and 3rd-Gen iPod Touches
- Vroom theme now plays in the main menu
- Added congratulatory notification when you beat a previous best lap time
- Added admonishment when you fall off a cliff
- Added signs with big red arrows on ‘em to help guide you around the tracks
- Fixed some of the stupid movements the zombies would sometimes do
- Fixed lighting on truck and truck items so they’ll never show up all black and stupid-looking anymore
- Fixed round end score text sometimes displaying over the top of the loading screen
- Made round end/timer text larger and more in-charge
- Improvements to the smoothness of the camera tilt, it should feel less sluggish now
- Fixed some collision issues on level 2, where really amazing people could sometimes get on top of the world
- Fixed similar issues on all maps, actually
- Fixed the issue that was causing level 2 to be pretty much impossible to lose
- Zombies will now also spawn when you drive the wrong way around the track. Added “wrong way” text but then took it away again because that’s no fun at all. Drive wherever you want, you guys
- Various optimisations to hopefully improve performance somewhat on most platforms. Certainly load times are better. More FPS improvements on the way
- Improved blood effect, it actually looks like blood now
- Fixed zombie LOD issue on 3rd-gen devices
- Other Stuff Also
Keep that feedback coming, chums.